The ultimate guide to Mint-On-Demand™ and NFTs for creators.
launch nft, mint on demand, nft, nft guide
If you can sell merch, you can sell NFTs. Let’s cut to the chase and take a look at how @byshayneanthony used Mint-On-Demand™ to launch his latest NFT. We recommend diving deeper into our comprehensive guide to understand the value of NFTs, and how Mint-On-Demand™ is built for creators on Spring.
NFTs in a nutshell
First, the technical definition: An NFT (“non-fungible token”) is a unit of data stored on a digital ledger, called a blockchain.
An NFT is a digital asset that can be owned, sold and traded. But that’s just scratching the surface. NFTs will be the atomic unit of ownership across the metaverse.
In simpler terms: NFT means your digital asset is completely unique and non-replaceable. It can then be “tokenized,” so you can transfer ownership (i.e. sell) to your fans. Fans can resell your NFT on marketplaces like Opensea (read more about that here). After that, you’ll get a 7% royalty of the resale price, every single time it’s resold. If your NFT increases in value over time, your profits will reflect that. They’re real money makers and community builders.
NFTs: Digital collectibles
NFTs aren’t so different from selling merch…
NFTs as digital collectibles act as a support mechanism. Now, let’s put this into context when thinking about selling merch on Spring. Why do your fans buy your physical merch?
- To financially support you as a creator.
- To receive something that proves they are a dedicated fan of your content. Bragging rights.
- Because they like the design, the artwork, and the creativity you’ve applied to the product.
Take those 3 things. They directly apply to NFTs when we think about digital collectibles. Simply think about NFTs in this context as ‘digital merch’. See the below graphic that demonstrates this:
In the Web3 era, digital assets and wallets will become more visible and prominent, and what’s in your wallet will be the new form of flexing on social media, just like taking a selfie in a new ltd edition hoodie. We’re already seeing social platforms develop integrations for users to showcase what’s in their wallets.
2. How Mint-On-Demand™ on Spring works
So how do NFTs actually work on the Spring platform?
Mint-On-Demand™, makes selling NFTs easy. Creators can launch and sell crypto-free NFTs with no upfront costs (like monthly & minting fees), and we’ll only mint the NFT once it’s sold.
- NFTs live in your normal Spring store, just like a t-shirt or digital product.
- Fans can purchase with regular payment methods and currencies through normal Spring checkout like credit cards or PayPal.
- Pay out your profits in regular currencies, too.
- Earn 70% of the profits on first NFT sales made on Spring.
- Spring takes a 30% processing fee.
- Spring coordinates with Bondly to provide fans with purchased NFTs, and wallets for you both to track ownership.
Once a fan buys your NFT from your Spring store, a crypto wallet will be created for the buyer via our partners, Bondly. They make sure your fan receives your NFT once it’s minted on the Polygon blockchain, before being dropped into their new crypto wallet (fans can always transfer the NFT to another wallet afterwards). They’ll be notified when this happens, and you can track the ownership of your NFT as it’s resold.
For any further guidance on how Mint-On-Demand™ works—please visit our creator FAQs.
Key benefits for you and fans
Through Mint-On-Demand™, our aim is to empower creators to enter this new exciting version of the internet (Web3) easily, and enable you to monetize in a brand new way.
Other benefits of Mint-On-Demand™:
- It’s totally free. No crypto or gas fees mean no risk
- Environmentally conscious (we’ll cover this below)
- Selling made simple: Spring handle the admin and logistics. NFTs live in your store like any other product.
- We’ll take care of customer service for your fans
- Seamlessly showcase and promote your NFTs across social platforms using the powerful Spring x Linktree Integration.
Selling NFTs with Spring allows you to tap into a brand new revenue stream alongside your current monetization strategy, all without worrying about things like physical supply chain or customization limitations.
The actual benefits of selling NFTs as a whole? There’s a real financial opportunity for you here—especially if you make your NFT exclusive, ie. launching a 1 of 1 or limited edition for $1000. Think about it. The value of your NFT is affirmed if only a small number of fans own your digital collectible, increasing demand. The price should reflect your NFTs exclusivity.
- New revenue stream: NFTs open up a brand new revenue stream to explore alongside things like ad revenue, brand deals and merch sales.
- Stay relevant: Keep up with trends happening right now. Selling NFTs offers a new, exciting, and innovative collectible product offering for your fans.
- Royalties: Aside from the initial sales, you will receive royalties whenever the NFT is resold by a fan on other marketplaces.
- Flywheel effect: Fans who own your NFTs are invested in the success of your future as a creator, encouraging them to shout about your content. The bigger you get as a creator, the more chance of your NFT increasing in value = the bigger the royalties.
- Support: Just like merch, buying NFTs financially supports you as a creator.
- Ownership: AKA. The Digital Flex. Fans collect the digital assets, can prove ownership publicly and flex their collection on social. We are already starting to see major platforms adopt NFT verification.
- Collectability: As your channel grows, your NFTs will become more desired and become iconic collectibles within your community and external NFT collector communities as well.
NFTs can be anything. An image, audio, video, a PDF. But at Spring, we see digital collectibles being the ultimate use case for creators and communities, and so the Mint-On-Demand beta is currently only accepting image files but will be rolling out more formats very soon.
All Spring creators have are able to create NFTs with Mint-On-Demand™. Get started below.
Are NFTs harmful to the environment?
Short answer: Sometimes. This is why we chose to partner with Bondly, who teamed up with Polygon: a blockchain that uses just 0.002% of the energy that other blockchains use. You should communicate this with your fans.
Since most NFTs use the same blockchain technology as some energy-siphoning cryptocurrencies, they also end up using a lot of electricity as a result. Bondly works with the Polygon blockchain allowing eco-friendly NFT minting, and are setting up a fund to offset their carbon footprint. One NFT with Polygon uses x3 less energy than streaming a video online for 1 hour. Learn more about Polygons’ responsible minting here.
3. Are NFTs right for you?
If you already have a community, the answer is yes. For Spring creators, digital collectibles resonate with your fans. Remember, your NFT is essentially a limited edition collectible. Here’s a few examples of popular ones:
What NFT should I launch?
- Digital artwork. Sell artwork files as exclusive collectibles. This could mean selling your most popular merch design, a digital drawing, an image of a painting etc. For creatives—think of it as an original artwork—only one exists.
- A historical piece of your content. For example, you could use your first ever tweet. Jack Dorsey sold his for 2.6 million. Or, take a shot of your fan’s favorite moment from your Twitch livestream or YouTube content.
- Digital trading cards. Turn popular images from your content into trading cards (think Pokémon).
You have a community behind you. They don’t just purchase something from you because it looks cool, they buy your products to support you. Your work means something to them.
Strategies for engaging fans with your NFT
While we believe value can be created in the digital asset itself (the value will naturally be generated through exclusivity and collectibility), there’s more ways for you to add value to your NFT and create hype for your release.
- Give your fans exclusive access: Give NFT owners access to a private discord server, offer them a 1:1 call or group video chat with other NFT owners.
- Exclusive merch: Send NFT owners merch that will never be made available to the public.
- Rare content: Your NFT could unlock never before seen footage or new content you produce for the NFT owners only.
- Lifetime discounts: Create and supply a lifetime discount code for your Spring store.
- IRL meet ups: The ultimate fan experience. Let owners hang out with you in real life.
4. Ready? Let’s get started.
Creating your NFT
So what will your NFT look like? This doesn’t need to be complex. Your digital asset could simply be a cool piece of artwork. What will resonate with your fans? What type of thing would they want to collect?
Here’s a few suggestions to get you started.
- Repurpose existing merch design: Ease your way into NFTs by creating something that fits in with your merch strategy. You already have a catalog of designs that you’ve launched on physical merch. Why not reignite fandom by bringing back a popular design from the past (whether it be the exact artwork or a stylized version of it), giving super fans the chance to own a piece of your history.
Conor DeWolfe did the same—check out his simple steps below.
- Launch an NFT alongside your next merch drop: Your NFT will be a unique memento to commemorate your next drop for super fans and NFT collectors alike. We believe this is one of the most compelling ways to introduce digital collectibles to your community without the pressure of focusing entirely on a unique NFT by itself.
- Digital Art: Capture a recognizable theme or trend from your content or channel. Ie. take a popular character, pattern or graphic and work with a visual artist to bring it to life as a digital collectible.
- Mint a moment: Capture iconic moments, snapshots from live-streams or fan-favorite pieces of content as dynamic and engaging NFTs. Fans could own significant moments of your legacy as a creator.
Need help getting your NFT created? Check out the designers on Fiverr or 99designs—they’ll help you turn your digital asset into a collectible your fans will love. Check it out below.
How to promote your NFT
Leverage your following and shout about it on social media.
- Post teasers on your social media channels a few weeks before your NFT release—this will build hype.
- Create a countdown to your NFT release. You can do this easily on Instagram using Instagram stories.
- Make your NFT discoverable. Make your NFT easy to find. Ensure you’re using the Spring x Linktree integration so fans can easily find and purchase your NFT.
- Communicate with fans. It’s likely some of your community may not understand what your NFT is all about. Go on a Live, answer questions on your stories, reply to comments, and more. Describe the idea behind your NFT and why it is a great collectible.
Now you’re up to speed on NFTs; why they make sense to creators and communities, the benefits of launching with Mint-On-Demand™, and finally what your NFT could look like, you’re all set. Get started below.